|Happy World Oceans Day! Photo © Nautical Sites Media|
According to the World Oceans Day website, on World Oceans Day people around the planet celebrate and honor the body of water which links us all, for what it provides humans and what it represents. This is an especially important day for us boaters. In addition to all the benefits of the oceans that non-boaters take advantage of, we also use the ocean as our playground and our passageway for fun and adventure.
Besides boating, the world’s ocean:
- Generates most of the oxygen we breathe
- Helps feed us
- Regulates our climate
- Cleans the water we drink
- Offers us a pharmacopoeia of potential medicines
- Provides limitless inspiration!
It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is protected and conserved for future generations. World Oceans Day allows us to:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn - discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will greatly benefit our blue planet.
- Celebrate - whether you live inland or on the coast we are all connected to the ocean; take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our world ocean.